Now that many of us are entering spring, and hence, warm temperatures, we’d like to share with you one of our favorite cold desserts. Chocolate pie is a scrumptious dessert with graham crackers, chocolate, jello pudding, Cool Whip, and more! And it’s definitely delicious. This recipe comes from our awesome aunt Cathy and is gone as soon as we make it. It’s great as a midnight snack, for guests, summer parties, and just as a cool, refreshing pie dessert. I love it because it has cream cheese (one of my favorite things when it comes to dessert) and chocolate of course. This recipe can be made with a graham cracker crust, a cookie crust, or a crust of your choosing. See what you can do by tweaking a few of our ingredients yourself!
You Will Need:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar (to be used in the crust)
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar (to be used in the pie)
2 Tbsp. milk
1 8 oz. Cool Whip (thawed)
2 pkgs. (4 oz. size) Jello instant pudding & pie filling (both chocolate or one vanilla and one chocolate)
3 1/2 cups cold milk
*Makes 12-15 Servings
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter. Press firmly into the bottom of a 13 x 9 in. pan. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes.
2. Using 3 1/2 Cups cold milk, prepare pudding as directed on package.
3. In a bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar and 2 Tbsp milk until smooth.
4. Fold in half of the Cool Whip. Spread this over the crust.
5. Pour the prepared pudding over the cream cheese layer. Chill several hours or overnight.*
6. Spread remaining Cool Whip on top of the pudding. Garnish with chocolate (grated or curls) or chopped nuts.
Special Note: We don’t always wait until overnight to eat this dessert. We will leave it in the fridge for an hour or two sometimes to set up, then we do step 5 and enjoy. It’s hard to wait when it comes to dessert, right? This is basically personal preference though. Spruce up this dessert by making it in separate dessert cups, chilling them, and then enjoying with friends.
*For a cookie crust instead of a graham cracker crust, use 1 cup flour, 1 cup butter, and nuts of your choice. Bake at 25 minutes at 350 degrees.