Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (not quick-cooking!)
- 2 large apples (or 3 small), peeled, cored and chopped into roughly ¾-inch pieces
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (You can also use flaxseeds if you prefer.)
- 2 tablespoons good quality maple syrup
- For serving: (optional)
- Almond Milk
- Chopped pecans
- Ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup or brown sugar
- Start by greasing your slow cooker. I rubbed the inside of mine with a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, but you can use cooking spray if you prefer. (Please do not skip this step, people, or you will end up with a literal hot mess on your hands.)
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Give everything a quick stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Give the oatmeal a good stir, making sure to get all the delicious crusty bits off the sides of the slow cooker (they looks scary, but taste delicious). Spoon the oats into bowls and serve warm.
- Oatmeal can be refrigerated in an airtight container to be eaten throughout the week! Just stir in a little almond milk (or milk of your choice) and re-heat in the microwave or on the stovetop.