I first had a try of this recipe at a family Thanksgiving gathering. I love lemon-flavored treats, especially if they are not too overpowering. A nice sweet hint of lemon paired with some delicious cookie dough, makes for a wonderful end result of lemon-drop candy cookies. These tart cookies take me back to when I was a little younger and my elementary teachers would give the students lemon-drop candies for answering questions correctly and scoring well on tests. Maybe that is why I associate these cookies with success and all-around good feelings.
These cookies make a large batch and are wonderful for family gatherings that bring a large crowd. They’re a perfect treat for Thanksgiving, Christmas, homecomings, farewells, and parties. A touch of tart, a touch of sweet, and a touch of gooey cookie will make these a hit any time they are made.
I got this recipe from my cousin Kelly, and the original recipe can be found here if you want to check it out. Enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Butter-Flavored Crisco
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 finely chopped zest of lemon
- 1 (6 oz) pkg. crushed lemon-drop candies (can use as much candy as desired though)
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven.
- Cream together sugar, shortening, and eggs before adding any other ingredients.
- Add extracts.
- Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest, and crushed lemon drops.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or use cooking spray.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10–12 minutes or until done.
- Let cool for 1–2 minutes on the pan, remove, and enjoy.
These cookies goes great with a glaze. To make the glaze, mix powdered sugar with lemon juice. Make desired amount of glaze and brush over each cookie. Let dry completely and eat.