Take your tater tots to the next level with this decadent casserole recipe. It is the perfect way to enjoy breakfast for lunch or dinner. With everything you need to keep the family happy and full.
- 1 lb. (4 cups) frozen potato tots (such as Ore-Ida)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 8 oz. cremini or white mushrooms, halved (or quartered, if large)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach, thick stems discarded, very roughly chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 oz. extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the tots on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Toss with the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Fold in the spinach and tots.
- Make 8 small wells in the vegetable mixture and carefully crack an egg into each.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake the eggs to desired doneness, 15 to 18 minutes for slightly runny yolks.
I didn't have fresh tomatoes so I used a can of diced tomatoes drained and it came out great. Also if you don't have an oven proof skillet a casserole dish works great.