With Winter in full bloom it’s time for boots, cocoa and hot bowls of soup. This lentil vegetable soup is a favorite of mine and so easy to make. I think one of the reasons I like it, is because like most of the soups I make, if you don’t have an ingredient, such as carrot or spinach, leave it out or substitute another favorite vegetable.
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 6 small white potatoes, finely chopped
- 1 16-ounce bag brown lentils
- 1 15.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 cups finely chopped spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients, except the spinach, and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Add the spinach about 5 minutes before the soup is done.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.