We love a good meal of stuffed bell peppers but making them can be tedious. So I found a way to make the same great meal without all the work. This stuffed pepper casserole taste amazing and well the work is half as much.
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 medium sweet bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, break up the beef with a wooden spoon. Cook until no pink remains, about 8 minutes. Drain the excess fat.
- Add the rice to the cooked beef. Cook until the rice is golden brown (2-3 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the cheese. Stir well. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover the skillet.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. It will take 20-25 minutes for white rice and 40-45 minutes for brown rice.
- Top with cheese. Cover the skillet and let it rest for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.