Eggplant parmesan is a huge favorite in our house. It is one of the few all veggie dishes that the whole family loves. It is also one that is easy to make. It has all the yummy goodness of vegetables and gooey cheese that makes it delicious.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (about eight)
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (25-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven; preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, coat eggplant slices with egg, then coat each slice on both sides with panko.
- Spread oil on the hot baking sheet and arrange eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Bake 15 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475°F.
- In an 8x10-inch ovenproof dish, layer half of the sauce, then eggplant, and top with cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, finishing with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts and is golden brown in spots, about 15 minutes.